Thursday, March 8, 2018

URCP 001 - The Rainbowed Peanut

After that post on heavy eating, I think I'll try to do something, not so different since I'm sure it has been done before but a little different since I am a bit more familiar with the products.

I'll be doing reviews of URC products. I'll do my best at going through the company's product portfolio, describing each product as it is from the market and by using words that would paint a picture in your pallet. With that being said, let me start with the one product that is so readily available to me since there's one just beside me.

Nips Peanut. Candy Coated Chocolate with Peanut Center (hence the title).


Nips Peanut comes in two SKU's (that's Stock Keeping Unit for those who are unfamiliar); there's the 14-gram packs that comes in ties of 12, and there's the 43-gram individual packs kindda like the usual m&m packs that we're all used to. When you get the ties of 12, be wary when tearing off one pack. It is highly likely that you'd have a hard time doing so. I suggest using a pair of scissors.

The candy coating comes in five colors; red (although this particular batch looks like it's maroon), orange, yellow, blue, and violet. Back in the day, Nips actually have all seven colors of the rainbow so I think "Rainbowed Peanut" would not be appropriate a title.

The candy coating is just there for the eyes and supposedly, the pallet. Unfortunately, the crisp that should be from the candy coating is lost in time. I'm not a fan of peanuts so I really can't tell whether the peanuts in Nips still has the crunch of freshly roasted peanuts. The combination of the peanut and chocolate leaves something in the throat beside it being overly sweet. But a good old glass of water will take care of the job, unless you don't have one.

If you don't like sweet food, then this is not for you. Same is true for those who dislike chocolate and are allergic to peanuts. A 43-gram pack would be good for those time that you need something to munch on because you feel a bit sleepy. But if you want something on the salty or savory side with more crunch. Well, there's good old chichacorn. It's also good when you feel the sudden hunger if you don't have a Snickers bar close by.

Since I can't give a systematic rating for all products because there's just too much variety in URC products, I'll give an overall rating that we shall call ... drum roll... Palatability Index (way to sound technical because this will be very subjective) with a range of 0 to 1.0, with 1.0 being the highest.

Palatability Index: 0.35

Food Trivia: Remember the Nips advertisement that goes "Wanna see what happens with a bag of Nips?" That TV commercial is actually telling the truth back then because Nips has all the seven colors of the rainbow. Today, airing that commercial would be flat out false advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment